James Gunn Reiterates Yondu Will Not Return in Guardians of the Galaxy 3

James Gunn says again that Michael Rooker’s Yondu will not return in Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Writer-director Gunn took the oddball Marvel comic book property about a team of outer space misfits to the big screen in 2014. The result was a surprise blockbuster that grossed $772 million worldwide and spawned the 2017 sequel Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Characters from the Guardians films would also become major players in other Marvel films.

Given the huge popularity of Guardians of the Galaxy and its motley crew of wise-cracking space mercenaries, it’s no surprise that the characters will continue to return in future MCU movies. Indeed it appears some of them will be back, in cameo roles at least, in the upcoming Thor: Love and Thunder. And of course Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon and company will also soar back onto screens in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, written and directed again by Gunn (after he was briefly fired from Disney for old tweets). Little is known about the third Guardians film, but Gunn has offered a few tantalizing bits of information. To begin, Gunn says Adult Groot won’t be back for volume three of the saga. In addition, Gunn has shot down rumors that Marvel has begun casting Adam Warlock for the film (Seth Rogen recently threw his name into the mix if indeed Warlock is set to appear in Guardians 3).

Now Gunn has offered up another definitive statement shooting down fan speculation about the character line-up for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. On Twitter, the writer-director stated that Rooker’s Yondu will not be resurrected for the movie. “As I’ve said before, Yondu is dead & will stay dead as long as I’m involved with the Guardians,” Gunn explained. “His death means something to people & I’m not about to diminish that.” See Gunn’s tweet on the matter in the space below:

Yondu of course was a central figure in both previous Guardians of the Galaxy films. In the first movie, he was revealed as the Ravager who originally kidnapped young earthling Peter Quill. In the second film, he shifted over to the good guy side as he was expelled by the Ravagers, ultimately sacrificing himself during the battle with Quill’s father Ego. The movie ended with a touching funeral scene for the redeemed character. Despite Yondu's seemingly definitive death, there has been speculation he could return, some of it fueled by Rooker himself.

Though it would no doubt be fun to see Rooker back in blue as Yondu, Gunn’s point about not cheapening the character's death is well-taken. The MCU certainly has done its fair share of resurrecting over the years, and indeed these resurrections can sometimes be very powerful. But on the other hand, sometimes it’s better from a storytelling standpoint to let a character really be gone. At the end of the day, Yondu served his purpose in the first two movies and bringing him back for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 would be a totally pointless and arguably insulting move. Gunn certainly has better ideas for the movie than engaging in dubious ploys designed to bring back fan favorite characters whose stories have already been told.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now